Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rabbitry



The new boys in town -we haven't named them yet. The Soup Queen brought them last time she visited. They are to replace Fat Charlie (click here) and (click here) as breeding sires for our rabbit meat production. Though he can't ever really be replaced -he's one of those special one-of-a-kind animals that steals your heart and keeps it- he no longer produces offspring and is retired from breeding, but not from being petted.



A new little female that my son named Hester. He says she is just how he imagines Hazel, the main character (a male rabbit) in Watership Down to look.



I keep thinking that if I was this small and tasty, I would look scared all the time too. These four rabbits are all cross breeds, which is fine for our meat production purposes. They are New Zealand and Palomino breed crosses and I'm hoping they will be great producers.



It is important to pay attention when caring for animals, but life sometimes overwhelms me and I don't always do a good job of it. I forgot to put in our Pea Patch rescued rabbit, Elle's nest box when I was suppose to (day BEFORE yesterday). I realized this at 5 AM this morning and have severely chastised myself all morning. Luckily, there were no dead newborn rabbits lying on the wire as I had imagined finding. She immediately set to work nesting and rearranging the bedding when I put her box in. I'm hoping to find newborn bunnies tomorrow morning, which I will sell in a couple months on Craigslist for pet bunnies when they look like these adorable black and white ones (click here).

1 comment:

  1. Another Twilight Zone parallel universe moment between us today, Tamra...

    You should check out my blog post today ~ I was uploading photos of my latest knit and magnified the picture and look what book is on top of the stack that ended up in my post!

    Complete coincidence.... hope your well!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete