Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Two Carrot Cakes



Carrot Cake recipes abound, and most of us have at least one recipe for this classic in our files. My grandmother Leona's recipe is written out here, by my mother on this index card found in her recipe box, that I am now the custodian of. My sister-in-law, Shelly, The Dessert Queen, was the keeper of the box for many years before it was given to me. There are recipes in it written by both my grandmothers, my mom (she uses no salt in cooking), my adolescent self, and The Dessert Queen. It is a priceless orange plastic box.



Gretchen, The Soup Queen, always uses Leona's Carrot Cake recipe when making carrot cake, her husband's favorite. I, on the other hand, usually use my own recipe I've adapted over the years, combining a recipe from Cooking Light magazine and my grandmother's. Recently I made my grandmother's classic version, using carrots from the garden and walnuts, gathered, cracked, and given to me by my Auntie (I am so blessed). I tend to think of everything in terms of food, including people. Until Bacardi Rum Cake came into her life, carrot cake was my mom's favorite, so on her birthday I wanted to make one, while thinking of her on a beach in Mexico, celebrating her 70th birthday with a group of friends. She said they cooked a huge paella -and someone baked her a carrot cake.

Grandma Leona's Carrot Cake
Grease and flour a 8 inch square Pyrex dish

Cream:
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. Wesson oil

Add:
2 eggs

Sift together and add:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. each baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg

Fold in:
1 1/2 c. grated carrots
8 oz. crushed pineapple, well drained
3/4 c. walnuts

Bake 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Cool completely and frost.


Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat:
1/4 c. butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 t. vanilla or almond extract
Add;
2 c. (1/2 lb.) powdered sugar



My mom hates almond flavoring, but I love it, especially in this updated version of carrot cake. Classic or updated? Personally, I love them both.

Tamra's Carrot Cake
Grease and flour a 8 inch square Pyrex dish

Grate:
2 1/2 c. carrots

Mix with:
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. crushed pineapple
Leave in colander in sink to drain for 15 minutes

Cream:
1/4 c. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar

Add:
1/2 t. almond extract
1/3 c. applesauce

Add:
2 eggs

Sift together and add:
1 c. cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. salt

Fold in:
squeezed dry drained carrots and crushed pineapple
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Bake 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until tests done. Cool completely on wire rack and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday MOM!! I am humbly honored by the crowning of Dessert Queen :) I am going to make your version of Carrot Cake but throw in a handful or two of chocolate chips!! :)YUMMERS~
    Can't wait to see your sewing/quilting/spinning room! Yeah for new spaces of your own!

    ReplyDelete