Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Green Bean Casserole



Green Bean Casserole is a Thanksgiving classic for many families, but not mine. The truth is before last week, I had never eaten it. A few years ago, my daughter had it at a friend's house, and she came home raving about how amazingly good this bean thing she'd had was. I decided to make it this year with frozen beans, though I think fresh beans (of course) would probably be much better.



I've seen this recipe many times over the years, and also the strategic displays in the grocery aisles, but the main reason I've never made this classic before now was that, to me, fried onions from a can does not sound at all appetizing. On the other hand, this year my husband grew some really nice shallots, and fried shallots definitely does sound appetizing! The addition of fresh mushrooms and tarragon enriches and complements the frozen garden vegetables, making this a scrumptious side dish. Next time I make this, I think I might go completely sans cans, omit the can of mushroom soup, and make a simple roux based mushroom cream sauce instead.



Green Bean Casserole
Defrost one quart frozen beans, drain, and put in casserole dish.

Peel and slice 5-6 shallots into rings. Shake in Ziploc bag with:
1/3 c. flour
1 t. Lawry's seasoning, or paprika
Put in colander and shake to discard excess flour.
Fry in 2+ inches of hot oil. Drain.

In saucepan, melt:
2 T. butter
Add:
1/2 lb. chopped fresh mushrooms
Cook until browned without stirring too much.

Add:
1 can cream mushroom soup
3/4 can milk (use 1 can for fresh beans)
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. soy sauce
1 T. fresh tarragon (1 t. dried)
Whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer. Pour over beans. Stir. Add half shallots. Stir. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with remaining half of shallots and bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try your recipe ~ I never ate this growing up but my husband loves the casserole out of a can (not my favorite!) version....this is more up my alley! Thanks so much for sharing it! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Welcome, I'm so glad to see you here! I'd really love to hear how your husband likes (or doesn't like) this version. Since I've never had it, and my daughter who did isn't here, I'm not sure how it compares.

    ReplyDelete