Friday, October 29, 2010

White Boys and White Bread



With the new lamb's arrival, the boys were kicked out of the barn and moved back into the orchard. They tussle about with each other in the barn and I was worried they might hurt him. It is amazing just how much effort all the flock exerts to make sure and not injure the little ones, both kids and lambs -but boys will be boys, and I didn't want to take the chance.



After their initial disgruntlement, Paris and his two sons, settled down to the serious business of grazing in the orchard. Paris has a colored gene, so he throws both white, like the boys here, and colored, like the girls and our new lamb. I love both the dark and white wool. I like the variety in the dark fleeces but I also like the classic white. Classic white wool and yarn is really quite lovely and a classic farmhouse white bread can be pretty spectacular, too.



Long ago in the B. C. (Before Children) part of my life, after graduating from college and moving to Portland, our next-door neighbor, Lori gave me this recipe. She had gorgeous red-hair, that I (very unsuccessfully) tried to capture the beauty of, by oil painting her portrait. She was my age, had a toddler son when we moved in, plus infant twins less than a year later when we left for Baltimore. We talked a lot about life, choices -and food. I'm always fondly reminded of my friendships from the past when I cook using the recipes my friends have shared with me. Friends may move on, but their recipes, and their place in my heart, remains.



Milk and Honey Bread
"Especially from Lori"
Mix in a small cup and leave until foamy:
1 T. yeast
1/2 T. honey
1/4 c. warm water

Heat to warm and pour in stand mixer bowl:
2 T. butter
1 c. milk
3 T. honey
1 t. salt

Add:
1 1/2 c. bread flour
Beat. Stir in:
1 egg
Add:
foamy yeast
Switch to dough hook attachment. Knead and add 2+ c. more bread flour, or as needed to make a smooth and elastic dough.

Place in a greased bowl. Leave to double in size. Deflate and let rise again. Shape one loaf and 8 rolls in a second loaf pan. Rise. Brush with egg-milk mixture (I always forget this part) and bake 350 degree oven for 35 minutes (20-25 minutes for the rolls). Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment