Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Asian Pear Crisp



These directions are for making 4 individual crisps like the ones I just now popped in the oven. What is more special than having your very own little Asian pear crisp for dessert? I bought individual ramekins awhile ago, after we watched one of the contestants on The TV show, MasterChef, make Chocolate Orange Souffles. There was a murmur of hurt disgruntlement among family members: why had 'we' never made chocolate souffles? No, I didn't think it would be technically too difficult, I admitted, I just hadn't been inspired. Get inspired, was the general attitude I picked up on. So I bought the little dishes, which I do think are very cute, and made chocolate souffles one evening using Julia Child's recipe and timing on Masterchef of 13 minutes for individual souffles. It wasn't too difficult, they were good, and everyone happily ate them. Despite being a chocolate dessert though, I wasn't overly impressed -except for the individual dessert dish part, THAT I love. Now that I have them, I am inspired to make all sorts of individual desserts, starting with these individual crisps. And with the second of our three offspring moving out on his own this past week, they are perfect for baking for our shrinking household.

Asian Pear Crisp
Into each ramekin, slice one peeled and cored Asian pear and sprinkle with 1 t. lemon juice. Divide the following mix evenly among the 4 dishes -OR double all amounts and make one crisp in a pie or casserole dish using 6-8 Asian or Bartlett pears- and gently toss with the pear slices and lemon juice.
Mix:
1 T. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. ginger
1/8 t. salt
Optional: 1-2 T. finely minced crystallized ginger (or craisins)



Crisp topping
Mix separately:
1/3 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
3 T. soft butter
1/3 c. chopped walnuts or pecans



Divide crisp topping evenly among dishes and spread gently over the top of the pears. Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment