Monday, April 25, 2011

Cinnamon-Orange Spice Meatballs



This charming little cookbook from the '90s has adorable illustrations and really great recipes using Celestial Teas -Cooking With Tea. I found a little note inside of it, written by my youngest daughter several years back, that, on one side, is a menu from this cookbook, and on the other side, a grocery list of the necessary ingredients. I don't remember if she made this, but it all sounds really good.

Menu
Harvest Spice Veggie Dip w/ Veggies
Raspberry Zinger Vinaigrette -Salad
Lemon Zinger Sea Bass with Zinger Salsa
Peppermint Chocolate Cake



With this week's meatball recipe in mind, my eye was caught by this. Doesn't it sound (and look) great!?! But then, everything in this book sounds and looks great!



Of course, yesterday when I made the meatballs (they will be thoroughly chilled tonight, and dinner will be a snap with them already made), I didn't actually follow this recipe.




Cinnamon-Orange Spice Meatballs

Heat 2-3 minutes in microwave:

1/2 c. white wine (I used homemade carrot wine. Honest, it's not bad!)
3 cinnamon-orange tea bags such as Seattle Pike Place Market Spice or Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice

Steep 10+ minutes and then discard bags.


Mix/Process in food processor:

1 lb. ground meat (beef, pork or half each. I used rabbit)

1 c. torn bread crumbs with half steeped wine-tea poured over to soften

1/4 - 1/2 diced onion

1/4 t. each salt and pepper

1 small egg


Form small balls. Chill or freeze.





Tonight I will:

Brown the meatballs in 2 T. oil. Remove meatballs, pour out excess grease and add:


remaining half wine-tea and mushroom broth to make 1/2 cup mixed with 1 T. cornstarch, and 1/2 c. orange marmalade. Stir until thickened and then add meatballs and simmer 10 minutes.


I think I will serve these with either chow mein and egg foo yung, or white rice and a vegetable. Either way, I know it's going to be great!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh they look good. I once used cranberry and orange in 'Bean Burgers' they were awful, it kind of put me off using orange in savoury dishes. Today I made meatballs in honour of 'Meatball Monday', but I have frozen them. I just did plain old meatballs, beef, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley and sage. I will try the fancy schmancy stuff as I get more experienced :)

    ReplyDelete