Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts



Oven roasted beets, wonderful on their own or honey glazed, are also the basis for one of my favorite salads. It is bewildering to me that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for this combination. My daughter loves all the key ingredients -beets, blue cheese and walnuts -but hates the salad. Go figure. Rogue Creamery Blue Cheese is amazing and their Smokey Blue is my preference to use here when I can find it. It is so worth seeking out and paying the price.



I love the way this salad looks and love even more how it tastes. Surprisingly, no one else in my family likes it, so I happily make it just for myself to eat. My aunt gave me several bags of walnuts they'd gathered, cracked and froze last winter, and they are wonderful in this salad. If this recipe sounds good to you and you make it, let me know if you love it as much as I do -or not.



Beet, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad
5-6 oven roasted beets, cooled, peeled and cubed
Combine for dressing and toss with beets:
2 T. olive or walnut oil
1 T. red wine or balsamic vinegar
1/4 t. salt
Add:
1/4 lb. crumbled Rogue Creamery Blue Cheese
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream (or not, if preferred) and ground pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment