Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Marion Cunningham's Turnip Slaw


We harvested the first of the turnips this week. Earlier in the week I used some in a stir fry of bok choy, turnips, asparagus and shrimp (Yum). Last night I made a turnip coleslaw from The Supper Book by Marion Cunningham. How can you not love a cookbook called The Supper Book? It is full of recipes for all sorts of cozy foods. I served the turnip slaw with more spinach salad and BBQ sandwiches -the burger buns I made in the morning and pork contry-style ribs and sauce cooked in the crock-pot while I weeded in the garden. I liked the slaw but my teen politely declined to taste it. "Mom, nobody likes turnips." Well, I do. I wouldn't recommend making this with turnips that have been sitting around for awhile, but only with ones just pulled up from the garden -or bought at the farmer's market. This is my adaptation of the recipe and I hope you like it.
Turnip Slaw
Mix well and refrigerate:
1/4 c. mayo
2 T. sour cream
1 t. white vinegar
1/2 t. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. sugar
1/4 t. celery seed
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. each minced fresh tarragon and dill
2 c. peeled and grated fresh turnips

No comments:

Post a Comment