Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Big Green Salad


We eat a big green salad, at least once a day this time of year, from our two gallon salad bowl we fill every other day or so with amazing lettuces and greens from the garden.



My husband is the gardener -I weed and harvest -so I don't know exactly what
variety these are. I know one is some type of green (red?) leaf lettuce and also there is some corn salad, romaine and spinach here. I know they all taste fantastic as well as look beautiful.



This is called 'Flashy Trout Back' and is a type of romaine lettuce. I think it is really lovely.



I make a variety of home-made salad dressings, including our favorite standby Honey Dijon, and this red one. I have seen variations of it called Catalina, Ketchup, Italian Tomato, Russian and French Salad Dressing. I like my version of it -whatever name you choose to call it.

American French or Catalina Salad Dressing

Mix in mini food processor or shake vigorously in jar with a tight fitting lid:
1/2 c. canola oil
1/3 c. ketchup
3-4 T. grated onion
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. sugar
2 t. each Coleman's mustard and paprika
1/2 t. each celery seed and salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1-2 t. minced fresh tarragon (if in season)

No comments:

Post a Comment