Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cherry-Almond Granola



The crab apple tree is laden with blossoms, and my mind immediately translates the flowers into rows of half-pint jars filled with crab apple jelly. I will use less than ten percent of the crab apples produced to make jelly, leaving the rest for the wildlife. Yesterday, I made another pan of these (click here), and this pan of cherry and almond granola. My oldest daughter likes to simply eat this granola of a Ziploc bag while she's working, but I'm looking forward to granola and yogurt breakfast parfaits. This is a variation of my favorite granola recipe -I gave the Date-Pecan Granola recipe in an earlier post (click here).



Cherry-Almond Granola

5 c. thick-cut oatmeal
1 1/2 oz. pkg. sesame seeds (about 1/3 c.)
3/4 c. apple butter
1/3 c. Lyle's Golden Syrup
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. whole almonds
1/2 t. salt
2 T. canola oil
Mix all together in a large roasting pan and roast 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes until golden brown. I repeatedly set the timer for 10 minutes, decreasing the time to 5 minutes towards the end, otherwise I tend to over brown it, which is a huge disappointment. Cool and add 2 c. dried cherries. Store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had a crab apple since I was a kid ~ my mom's folks had a tree in their backyard in Upstate NY and one of the first things I always did when we went to visit was run and see if there were any sour apples on the tree...I loved them!

    never had jam ~ sounds wonderful ;)
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come pick some of mine this fall if you'd like. I'll have more than enough to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may just have to take you up on that!
    thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete