Monday, May 9, 2011

Abuelita's Sopa de Albondigas



This was what I took to work today for my lunch: pint canning jars of sweet ice tea and the Grandmother's Meatball Soup I made on Saturday. A totable jar of soup makes a great lunch, and this is very easy, quite flexible, and so delicious. I started with Christina Gonzalez's recipe featured in the recent issue of Sunset magazine and then adapted it to my larder and inspirations. Here is my version of this classic soup.



Meatballs
1/4 - 1/2 lbs. ground beef, pork or chorizo
1/2-1 c. cooked white rice
1 egg
pinch each of salt, cumin and chili powder
Mix well. Shape into small balls. Chill.

Broth
3 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/2 - 1 T. salt
1 T. oregano
Bring to a boil. Add vegetables.

Vegetables
2 red potatoes, 2 small zucchini, 1/2 onion, 4-6 brown mushrooms, 2 carrots
Peel and/or scrub, and diced small. Use more, or less, vegetables as the mood, and what you have at hand, dictates.

Simmer until tender. Add optional additions (if adding) and meatballs, and simmer until done.

Optional Additions
1 c. cooked garbanzo, kidney, or pinto beans (I didn't add any this time)
lamb or goat heart and kidneys, diced

No comments:

Post a Comment