Friday, July 9, 2010

Rhubarb



The rhubarb season marches on! My rhubarb bed is jungle-like in its vibrant lushness. The plants had a slow start this spring but are now in fine form. They like lots of water.



I want to harvest, freeze and enjoy the rhubarb as much as I can. Check out http://www.rhubarbpiecapital.com/ for lots of ways to enjoy and celebrate this fruit.



I've already mentioned this pie, but it's such a good country classic its worth saying again: Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie from Saveur is yummy! I came across a recipe for Rhubarb Bars, dubbed RhuBars that sound really good but I must confess -I am dedicated to my own chosen Rhubarb recipe. Until this year, these bars are all I EVER made with all our rhubarb. Honest, they are that good. Now that I have several more plants, I feel I should branch out a bit. Pie and fruit wine were my new-rhubarb-things-to-try but this Rhubarb Bar recipe is still the best.



Rhubarb Bars
Adapted from Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg (Really, this is the title of this book and you so want to check it out!)

Butter 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In food processor mix:
2 c. flour
2/3 c. powdered sugar
2 sticks softened butter, cut into pieces
Press into dish to form a crust. In a small bowl beat 1 egg white with a fork and pour over crust, tilting to coat evenly. Pour off excess (or not) and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and place in refrigerator for 15 minutes (keep the oven on). Meanwhile, prepare topping.

In large bowl, whisk together:
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
When crust cooling time in refrigerator is up, fold in: 6 c. rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick, and pour over crust. If you mix this up and let it set while the crust cools, the sugar tends to draw moisture from the rhubarb and the custard isn't quite so nice, so fold it in at the last minute. Return to oven and bake 50 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment